Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Is it me, or could this man use a hug?

It makes you wonder. What if someone had shown the man a little love. Would it all had to have been so dark?  Maybe then we would have had The Tell Tale Heart (The musical).
Do I answer my own question? Yes, scary, just in another way. Poor Poe. If he could have found a balance. Murderous Gorillas on the page and a loving hearth and home. A grown woman at home, who could have keep the laudanum and brandy well locked away in the cupboard. "and for gosh sakes Edgar, eat breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day, and don't forget your galoshes you'll catch your death. Oh, and here, I baked you these, they're called chocolate chip cookies. I just read the recipe in Modern Housekeeping for uptight Victorians.  Love Ya! "
     

10 comments:

Grumpy Guy said...

You make a good point. What would Van Gogh have painted if he had been on Prozac? Bunnies? On the other hand, I wonder if Poe would have chosen to live his life differently if he could have. Good that he couldn't. I would have no Narrative Of Arthur Gordon Pym to thrill me.

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

It's so strange you say that, I was just thinking about mole men?

I may have to write about them?

Ana said...

And yet, there may be evidence that Poe didn't have a drinking "problem" as much as he couldn't biologically tolerate alcohol -- thus every experience was a wretched one... I have no problem sacrificing his well being for some excellent tortured prose. I just wish he had been better compensated for his efforts...

Grumpy Guy said...

If you write about Mole Men, I am all over that action. I'm buyin' the first copy off the press!

Did you see "The Descent"? Excellent creature feature with a mole mannish theme.

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

No, But I am gonna look into it. It's going right to the top of my netflix list. Have you read John Hodgman's new book, More Information Than you Require?
Check out:
700molemen.com

pulpexploder said...

Poe vs. Salinger cage fight. Best show ever, and we would have gotten a lot of good literature out of the deal as well.

Ana said...

Or better yet, what about C. Auguste Dupin vs. Holden Caulfield? Or the gorilla vs. Stradlater?

Grumpy Guy said...

Henry Miller vs. Anais Niin?

Grumpy Guy said...

and...if you're really interested in moles, well. pygmy mole rats anyway, check out Errol Morris's brilliant "Fast, Cheap, and Out Of Control".

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

Christopher Marlowe vs. Shakespeare, or better yet
Francis Beacon vs. Shakespeare. Would he be alone in the cage fighting himself?

nah!