Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Twelve Word Challenge



My good friend Ana has put forth a challenge at her blog Truepenny. As she explained NPR put out a contest two years ago to see who could write the best novel in 12 words. Hers are really good. So I am taking up the gauntlet and trying my hand at the super short story. I double dare you to try it too!

Ennui killed her spirit, Absinthe distilled her mind. Defenestration finished the job.

She loved his face, but hated his mind, while admiring his wallet.

The dragon landed with a pounce. Talons pierced the evil king. Hooray!

Gerry ate too much steak. He swore an oath to be vegan.

Chinese incense filled her senses. Sneezing fits followed. Then the dreams came.

Dinosaurs never learned to play chess. The end came quickly after that.

Overcome with passion she forgot her shoes. And she did not care.

The wolf’s eyes glowed. He smelled warm blood. Hunger was All.

10 comments:

Chet Of The Undead said...

*ahem ahem*

Billy, age thirteen, "discovers" himself.

"CENTERFOLD! "

Then Daddy opens Billy's unlocked door.....


Yeaaaap...I'd say that works just finnnne!! :)

Silver said...

...coool, girl.

writing talents..uncovered!!

Helene (the Artist Formerly Known as Kate) said...

The dragon landed with a pounce. Talons pierced the evil king. Hooray!

thats my favorite up there. Its got the entire package, beginning middle and end.

Chets is really creative also!! hehehe


Ok here goes nothing... lol

Top Valentino, bottom Prada, Chelsea dressed at the YMCA before work.

Graded papers in hand, Dan sweat the confrontation with the principal, again.

Ana said...

As usual, you one-up me with your wonderful-ness! I love your little novels! Fantastic!

Eva said...

Ooh! I have to try this as soon as my brain unfogs...

My favourite: Ennui killed her spirit, Absinthe distilled her mind. Defenestration finished the job.

laughingwolf said...

nice challenge... dunno if i want yet another at this time, will ponder it for a bit

am doing 6-word tales now, along with 55ers... so i guess adding your 12er should fit in somewhere ;) lol

FrankandMary said...

Not here. It is easy to love those who live far away.

Ok, I didn't put much thought into mine( just started & ended on 12), but even if I had, yours are fantastic, can't match them. ~Mary

Deborah said...

That's a challenge!


I once had a go at haiku-novels (5-7-5 syllables). Turns out one of them is a twelve-word novel as well:

Seropositive
Where it came from no one knew
Endless chains of trust

Your Defenestration-novel is my favourite, by the way.

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

Wow, good one!
And yes I had to look up: Seropositive
Nicely done and I learned a new word!

Fantastic Forrest said...

Love this!

Check out Live Wire Radio's facebook page for a bunch of 6-word memoirs. I posted the link to your Twelve Word Challenge there. I think they should do that next month. Will report back to you if so.