Sunday, October 25, 2009

To Dream The Impossible Dream

To any of you that know me, yes on the surface this seems like a terrible idea. Me, Beverly, the girl who can never finish anything wants to try this:

Yup, crazy. And yet for me it may make sense.
First: Spelling doesn’t count. A big plus for me.
Second: Punctuation no problem, no one cares.
Three: If I want, no one actually has to ever even read it and you still can win. Well, in truth there is no one winner. There is just the satisfaction of accomplishing the huge task of writing a 50,000-word novel in a month. This maybe be good for me? Sit down and write 1,600 words a day. Think about it. A novel with no other rules, then that it is a story with characters and a plot that can be anything and go anywhere. Maybe this is what I need to get over myself. A basically (for me) impossible task that I know going in is impossible, (probably). I am not setting myself some unreachable goal that I won’t achieve and then feel bad about. I am setting a goal that I know is impossible, (probably) and if by some crazy happenstance I achieve it, (Wow) will I be surprised! And proud. Fuck the spelling and the grammar. I typed 6,000 letters in a row a today and sprinkled in periods and semicolons too. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to. But come, on those of you who know me, know that there is very little chance there is going to be any use of semicolons going on by me.
Now, this does not mean I will not be writing my blog. I will. But if you want to follow my progress at the NaNoWriMo you can check me out here:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/528908
Not that I am promising that there will be any. I am just saying I am gonna try. Lets see what happens if I just free associate and let the story take me wherever it wants to. It could be a work of undying genius. Or a huge tangle of a mess. More likely the later.
If anyone wants to try their hand at this too, check out:http://www.wikihow.com/Participate-in-NaNoWriMo
I dare you.

18 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

I'm amazed you still have the appetite to write a single word. It sounds like being forced to smoke ten packs of cigarettes so you never want to smoke again.

Ana said...

You go, woman! I'll look on in admiration. The dare is tempting, I have to admit.

Loving the red background, by the way!

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

G.B. Are you saying this could cure me of writing? This might not be a bad thing. Then I could go on and concentrate on becoming that fan dancer I always dreamed of becoming!

Ana: I am not sure about the red. Between the typos and the strobing effect the letters are having I am afraid I will give everyone seizures. I shall keep working on it. I would love to find a blog skin that would be cool with out being anime or sad goth kid. Where is sexy, adult, grown, woman, skin who is smart, funny and likes scary things sometimes?

kate said...

WOW! I'll bring you waffles to nourish you.

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

Kate: And I'll eat them!

Jimmy Bastard said...

A novel idea, and one that I shall follow with keen interest.

Now.. about those waffles...

mapstew said...

Off ya go then.

xxx

Beverly Hamilton Wenham said...

James: Very punny. Get your own waffles. I will however share my bacon and hash browns. :)

Stew: I bravely go with limber fingers and lots of asprin.

The Topiary Cow said...

This is very impressive! Who would have thought of writing a novel in a month set aside just for that?

(Cow quickly assembling notepad and big erasers)

Moo!

Madame DeFarge said...

Love the new look. You go for it. I'll need to watch how this progresses. Bit too much of a challenge for me.

Lulu LaBonne said...

Good on you - I'm sure you'll get it done.
I'm here cheering you on!

jason evans said...

Best of luck! I know it's a grind, but the reward is huge. :)

Gadjo Dilo said...

Surely National Novel Writing Month should be preceded by National Novel Reading Month - the novels to be read being the ones written in the previous year's National Novel Writing Month! (Or am I being a bit of a wet blanket here?)

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Hi Beverly,

This is my frist visit to your blog; I see a few of my friends over here.

A blogger friend of mine (Vérité Parlant) has also undertaken NaNoWriMo.

I congratulate you and wish you success.

U

Borah said...

Just checked your novel... but saw you had exactly 0 words!
But you can still make it!

Come on, girl, you still have 15 days for 50000 words... that means you only have to write 3333 a day! that's doable!

laughingwolf said...

go for it, bev!

for hints/help, click on 'alexandra' in my 'pals +' sidebar, she's a lot more'n just helpful, she teaches the ins and outs of writing :)

Small Footprints said...

If one never gives it a try, then there will never be a reward. There are so many benefits to pushing ourselves to write every day. At the very least there is this ... it keeps our brains healthy. At the very best ... you may write the great American novel. So ... jump in with both feet! You can do it!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com

Sea Witch said...

go, go GO for it! Nothing is impossible unless you decide it is. Sea Witch